Geology of Natural Stone I- Introduction to Natural Stone
The geological makeup of stone is a major determining factor when specifying materials. This course will provide a geological overview of stone. Participants will learn about the history of stone, geological attributes to consider when specifying material, and how to verify stone classifications.
- Review the history of natural stone and the path it takes from the quarry to the kitchen.
- Discuss geology of stone and how this affects stone specification.
- Learn basic stone testing to help verify stone classification.
Course Materials Include:
Course Videos: (3 Hours)
- From Quarry to Kitchen
- Natural Stone 101: Everything You Need to Know about the World’s Oldest Building Products
- Introduction to Natural Stone: Learn About Rocks, Minerals, Granites and “Granite”
- Introduction to Natural Stone: Marble, Quartz, and the Non-Granites
- Introduction to Natural Stone: How to Do Basic Diagnostics
- Introduction to Natural Stone: Questions and Answers
Course Readings: (2 Hour)
- A Soft Spot for Soapstone
- A deep Dive into the Properties of Quartzite
- Sussing Out Sandstone
- Limestone- A Tropical Seabed Brings us a Practical Stone
- Granite: What’s In a Name?
- That’s a Gneiss Stone!
- Schist happens: Get to Know this Brilliant Stone
- Wall of Time: A Geological Stone Wall Captures Earth History
- Travertine: Watching Stones Form in Real-Time
- Mystique of Onyx
- Striking Patterns: What Stripes Tell You about Your Stone
- Getting to Know Your White Stones
- The Definitive Guide to Quartzite
- From Earth’s Mantle to the Fireplace Mantel: Tracing the Origins of Green Stone
50 Question Course Exam (1Hour)